UBM Implementation FAQ
q. What is UBM?
a. UBM, or Unified Business Management, is a formal approach to running a business with the aim to achieve maximum efficiency. It includes theory, methodology, and tools specification. It unifies various points of view on a business and management actions into a single set of instructions for planning, executing, and controlling business operations.
q. How is UBM used?
a. Application of UBM includes several required and optional steps. The first required step is creation of a UBM model of particular operations that need to be managed. After that, the model can be used to evaluate planning scenarios, to provide guidance to management and coordination of actual work, or to statistical and business evaluation of results. When a single UBM model is used for all three of the aspects of management, the UBM environment is considered complete.
q. Is my business ready for UBM?
a. There are several indicators that signal when a business will greatly benefit from UBM-based approach. Compare needs of your business with the following:
- Business volume has grown significantly but old operations structure is becoming overwhelmed. The trick is to preserve the advantages that still work and relieve stress at the same time
- Profitability margin is becoming thinner. The goal is to mobilize a whole company to act more efficient, create a single, efficient but flexible structure
- Regulatory pressures rise while profitability is a concern. The need is to maintain efficient operations while providing adequate level of transparency for reporting and required disclosure
- Computer-based operations and market volatility make it necessary to react to changes faster. There is a need for a near real-time reporting of consolidated financial results and changes in analytical forecasts and other models
q. What are main benefits of UBM?
a. Looking at a business as a whole, the benefits are:
- Single management and productivity solution satisfying every level of management, customers, and other stakeholders
- Ability to continually raise efficiency to ultimate levels in order to become an industry leader
- Lowering costs of ownership of management systems to unprecedented minimum while increasing power and flexibility of planning and controlling tools
q. What are resources necessary to implement UBM?
- Efforts to create a UBM model of particular business operation is similar to performing business analysis prior to building or installing a computer program to automate it. Creation of a complete UBM environment for a whole company is compatible with implementation of a completely new ERP system from scratch
- UBM based solutionís cost of ownership is at least 50% lower than that of a traditional business system
- Involvement of IT professionals in UBM implementations is minimal. Business professionals create UBM environment for themselves
- UBM implementation can be done at once for the whole company, or step-by-step, or department by department. It can maintain only management or only productivity focus. Accordingly, companies have same flexibility in planning of financial and human resources necessary to achieve ultimate goals of implementing a UBM environment.
q. When will my business see the benefits of UBM?
a. Because UBM approach is as flexible as business itself, what needs to be specified is a UBM model of operations in question. Right from that point, it will be apparent which first steps in efficiency improvement are needed. Later, the more complete UBM environment becomes, the more efficiency, insight, power, and flexibility a business gains.
q. Where can I learn more about UBM?
a. Unified Business Management is a new but extensive framework. Much more materials and documents will be added and published on this subject. To begin familiarizing with UBM more closely, please visit its Web page at http://advanced-process.com/ubm.html
. Written inquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org